Bachelor of Business Studies (BBS)
In today’s fast-paced and constantly changing corporate environment, aspiring professionals must have a solid foundation in business studies. Tribhuvan University (TU), a well-known university providing Bachelor of Business Studies (BBS) degrees in Nepal, is the epicenter of Nepal’s academic achievement.
Bachelor of Business Studies (BBS) is a 4-year (year-based) course run by Tribhuvan University (TU)’s Faculty of Management (FOM). Currently, 680+ colleges all over Nepal are running this course.
The TU Faculty of Management (FOM)’s BBS program aims to develop students into competent managers for every sector of organized activity. The program is predicated on the premise that graduates will spend the majority of their lives in an ever-changing environment. As a result, the student should have the chance to gain a wide understanding of the principles and reality-based abilities that underpin organizational operation and management.
Students should be prepared to work as managers in business, industry, and government upon graduation. The graduate should also have a choice of professional options in many business areas, including entrepreneurship, and should be able to create much-needed jobs for others.
- Provide students with the necessary conceptual knowledge of business and administration to help them acquire a general management viewpoint.
- Develop in students the necessary attitudes, talents, and practical skills that will serve as a foundation for their development as competent and responsible company managers.
- Encourage students’ entrepreneurial ability to help them become effective change agents in Nepalese society.
- Develop the required basis for advanced management courses, and then pursue professions in teaching, research, and consulting.
Attendance, Evaluation, and Grading System
The annual examination held by the office of the Controller of Examinations, Tribhuvan University, serves as the ultimate evaluation of students. However, in order to qualify for the annual examinations, students must achieve the following requirements:
- The student must attend at least 70% of the classes that are actually held.
- Without appearing in the first-year final examination, students cannot appear in the second-year examination.
The grading system of TU BBS is as follows:
|1||35% – to less than 45%||Third Division|
|2||45% – to less than 60%||Second Division|
|3||60% – to less than 75%||First Division|
|4||75% or More than 75%||Distinction|
Methods of Instruction
Colleges that provide the BBS degree should use instructional approaches that prepare students for the reality of Nepalese business, industry, and government in which they will be working. As learning methodologies, a combination of lecturesGraduation Requirements, group discussions, problem-solving exercises, guest lectures, practical practice, and project work will be used. Campuses are also urged to adopt the case method of instruction whenever possible and when necessary.
The BBS curriculum lasts four academic years and results in the awarding of a BBS degree upon completion. All BBS degree candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Completing 19 courses worth 1950 marks and submitting a final project report worth 50 marks with passing grades in all courses.
- Passing grades in all theoretical and practical components of the courses taken individually.
- The completion of courses for the fulfillment of the BBS program must take place within the time limit set by Tribhuvan University.
Eligibility for Admission
The applicant for admission to the BBS program:
- Grades in 11th and 12th grade must be at least D+ with a CGPA of 1.8. Or,
- Second-division marks in 10+2, PCL, or an equivalent grade in any discipline are the required minimum. Or,
- You can also apply if you are a student awaiting your grade 11 or grade 12 results. At the time of admission, however, they must present their grade 11 and grade 12 passing certificates.
- Pass the Entrance Exam Conducted by the college.
TU BBS Curricular Structure
The goal of the first-year curriculum is to provide students with a solid basis for understanding business principles, theories, and practices. The first-year program is divided into required and core courses as follows:
|MGT 201||Business English||100|
|MGT 202||Business Statistics||100|
|MGT 211||Accounting for Financial Analysis||100|
|MGT 213||Principles of Management||100|
The second-year program’s goal is to give foundational concepts, techniques, and comprehension of foundation and core courses. To build an understanding of business practices, fundamental courses are essential. The core courses provide vital information that is fundamental in the broad field of business studies. As a result, the second-year program is divided into the following core and mandatory courses:
|MGT 205||Business Communication||100|
|MGT 212||Cost and Management Accounting||100|
|MGT 214||Fundamentals of Marketing||100|
|MGT 216||Foundations of Human Resource Management||100|
The third-year program’s goal is to give essential concepts, techniques, and understanding of business studies. The core courses give fundamental information that is required to grasp a broader area of business studies. As a result, the third program is divided into the following core and required courses:
|MGT 204||Business Law||100|
|MGT 215||Fundamentals of Financial Management||100|
|MGT 217||Business Environment and Strategy||100|
|MGT 218||Taxation and Auditing||100|
|MGT 219||Organizational Behavior||100|
In the fourth year, students are encouraged to concentrate on a certain functional and specialized area of business studies. Building on the groundwork created in the first, second, and third years, the primary goal of the fourth year is twofold:
1) To allow students to focus on one functional area of business. FOM provides four different streams of concentration studies.
2) To give students the opportunity to participate in research and final project presentations.
|MGT 220||Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development||100|
|MGT 221||Business Research Methods||50|
|MGT 401||Final Project||50|
TU BBS Syllabus
First Year: TU BBS First Year Syllabus
Second Year: TU BBS Second Year Syllabus
Third Year: TU BBS Third Year Syllabus
Fourth Year: TU BBS Fourth Year Syllabus
The Fee Structure of BBS varies between colleges. Normally, the constituent campuses of TU like Patan Multiple Campus, Birendar Multiple Campus, and a few others charge around 2 Lakhs. At the same time, the fee in private colleges is around 3-4 lakhs.
|Constituent||NPR 2 Lakhs|
|Private||NPR 3-4 Lakhs|
Scope / Jop Aspects
The scope of BBS is wide-ranging, offering graduates diverse opportunities in both corporate and entrepreneurial environments. With their comprehensive knowledge of business studies, BBS graduates can pursue careers in management, marketing, finance, human resources, operations, consulting, and more, across various industries and sectors. Additionally, BBS serves as a solid foundation for further education, enabling graduates to pursue advanced degrees and specialized fields of study.
The salary depends upon your skill and experience. Just after your graduation, if you don’t have any experience, you will get a salary of around NPR 20,000 for at least a year. After you have gained some experience, you can expect at least NPR 30,000 for at least 2-3 Years.
With 4-5 Years of experience in a certain field, BBS students can easily make over NPR 50,000 if they utilize their skills properly.
Also, Watch a video on BBS Course in Nepal